Saturday, November 2, 2013

The Mountainous Cesspool of Despair

You. Yes, You. I am talking to you. Do you often think that life dumps a lot of things on you? I will show you what it means in the true sense of the word.



Look at me. There is filth all over me and around me.. I stink... I reek of dismay and despair hangs thick. The valkyric eagles fly all over me. But they don't have to choose the slain, for what can you choose from a place that is a living graveyard? There is smoke, there are fumes, there is dust and there is dejection.




Everyday, tiny, bare hands search me through and through. Tiny uncovered, unprotected feet which should have been scampering through the school playground now walk a-midst this filth. To eke out a living, in search of subsistence.. to sustain. But all that sustains is an endless wicked vicious circle. Me and throngs of unlucky humans entwined in our combined destiny of despair and filth.  Tell me - do we deserve this?









And you contribute generously to this drudgery.Yes you do. And I take it all... From the rich and the poor. From Gucci to Gutka packets. I take it all - like an inexhaustible sink... Your revelry is my rabid rot




Who am I?
I am the Ghazipur land-fill. I exhausted my capacity many years ago and yet the dumping continues. 2000 tons of waste is what I have to handle everyday. I am bursting at my seams yet the layers of silent ignominious suffering keep growing.. day after day.. week after week.. year after year..Dumped with more despair. Despair piling on.
And now your ingenious mind has made you come up with the idea of a waste to recycle plant to treat all of this. From one problem to another... that's your discursive ingenuity. With no proof of how environmentally sound the technology is, with no alternative solution for waste-pickers, you have still gone ahead. I could have applauded out of sheer despair - but as you can see, I have been pinned down by all this waste.

Sometimes I wonder if hope is an illusion which was invented to help us sustain..With all its audacity, it persists..



You still think life is dumping it's waste on you? Think again.

5 comments: