Sunday, August 31, 2014

Have you slept with anyone?

Someone casually asked me this question once. I replied, "No, I haven't".
"So does that mean you have never had sex?" he asked, slightly perturbed, in fact quite astonished to be honest. I smiled back and told him, "Sleeping with someone is different from having sex with them. I don't know when and how, but at some point in time, 'sleeping with someone' became a casual indifferent phrase. It was trivialized. For me, sleeping with someone means letting them sleep on your arm while it goes numb and watching them sleep in peace. Watch their body fall and rise in rhythmic, almost poetic form as they breathe. Smiling all by yourself even when they are asleep and just observing them. Sleeping with someone is finding beauty in the nothingness of silent whispers or just that invisible chord that connects you to the person you are holding and lying down. For some it's sacred.. even profound.. Sleeping is more intimate than people make it out to be. So yes, I am yet to sleep with someone"

"The city that never sleeps: The diary of a hopeless romantic, Entry 43"

No comments:

Post a Comment